The Old Bridge over the Danube River in Bratislava
conceptual design and project of demolition of the old bridge, developing of method of demolition and processing of technological procedures, Eurovia CS a.s.
Project name: MUNICIPAL TRANSPORT SYSTEM, 1ST PART "BOSÁKOVA ST. – ŠAFÁRIKOVO SQUARE", COMPLEX SECTION 20, OLD BRIDGE
Contractor: Eurovia CS a.s.
Position of LKM Consult: LEADING DESIGNER OF DEMOLITION of the old road and railway bridge steel superstructure
The principle of demolition of steel superstructure in four spans over the Danube River with the span lengths 75.85 m + 75.85 m + 92.08 m + 75.73 m was based on incremental dismantling of the steel structure temporary supported on "floating support" consisting of a system of DE-16100 cargo boats with a supporting structure made from parts of previously removed spans of the road bridge. Incremental dismantling of the steel elements "from above" was achieved by a 40 tons AC-40 crane positioned at the top flange of the railway bridge; dismantling "from below" was provided by a 90 tons LTM1090 crane located on the central boat of the floating support.
Removal of the steel structure started on 13 February 2014 and the last part of superstructure was successfully removed on 12 May 2014. Within three months of a relatively calm river, all parts of the steel structure with total weight about 3,400 t (information from the project) were flame-cut and put on transport boats, which transported the scrap material to the port for further processing.
LKM Consult delivery:
- creating and discussing the concept for the demolition
- complex technical documentation including structural calculations (except structural re-calculation and design of the temporary reinforcing of the steel superstructure of demolished bridge)
- a detailed design and structural analysis of the floating support including a load carrying support structure
- detailed solution of anchor ropes for anchorage of boats to the bridge piers
- technological procedure of removal of the parts of superstructure and manipulation charts for the cranes
- author's supervision during the execution of demolition